Dallas

Menu

Topics

Misc


Swamy the Realtor
   Home Parenting Submit Article
Done

Magnet-powered toys dangerous for kids: Study

Does your toddler play with magnet-powered toys? Throw these away as the chances of him/her ingesting tiny magnets is high, resulting in serious injuries that require surgery, an alarming study says.

“With the inclusion of smaller, spherical magnets in children's toys, we are seeing an increased number of visits to the hospital for surgeries to remove them from the gastrointestinal tract,” said Matt Strickland, a general surgery resident at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) and University of Toronto.

Strickland's team focused their research on digestive-tract injuries because the majority of serious harm from magnets is due to perforations of the stomach, small bowel and colon.

Many children in the study required surgery - in some cases, to remove small parts of their intestines.

They found that out of 2,722 patient visits to their hospital for foreign-body ingestions, 94 children had ingested those magnets - including 30 kids who had ingested multiple magnets.

More Info...

Done
Note: Articles are posted by our users. EkNazar.com is not responsible for the accuracy, errors/omissions of Articles. Terms of use





Font Size: