2 cups Rice flour
1/2 Dalia powder (Chutney dal/Pottukadalai powder)
2 tbsp Butter
4 tsp Chilli powder (add as per your requirement)
1 tsp White seasame seed (partially roasted)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Sieve the rice flour and pottu kadalai flour thoroughly sepertely to ensure that there are no grains in it. This is to avoid bursting of the pakoda. Seasame seeds are also partially roasted to avoid bursting. As I had a very bad experience in the past, i apply this practice.
2. In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except oil and mix well.
3. Add water and knead well to make a soft, non sticky and pliable dough.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a wide pan for deep frying.
5. Take a handful of dough and put it in the chakli maker (murukku maker). You will have two line disc in the chakli maker. Use this disc for making the same.
6. Squeeze into hot oil & make a big circle using circular motion. Make one at a time and do not overcrowd.
7. Deep fry till golden brown. Turn to cook both sides.
8. When it is done,remove from the oil and keep it on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
9. Store them in air-tight containers when completely cool. Enjoy with hot tea/ coffee. It is a good item to munch at any time of the day. We can have it with sambar rice instead of thoran.
Normally ribbon pakodas are made with rice flour and besan. This is a variation with chutney dal or pottu kadalai. This recipe was shared by my friend Jayashree.
Shelf life: 2-3 weeks in airtight container
Write a Review & Share your thoughts with Other Customers.